Sunday 23 March 2014

Adjusting The Texture Of Your Protein Shakes

I vary the consistency of my protein shakes to three kinds depending on how I feel on the day; if I'm hungry I want my shake to be dense so that it fills me up. Other times I want my shake to be loose so I can consume it quickly and there are times when I’d prefer a creamy shake that I can sip and enjoy. Below I share some of the ingredients I use to achieve these various textures.

Thicker shakes
To thicken protein shakes I add dry oats; typically about 100 grams into the blender. Dry oats don’t alter the flavour but gives a thick texture as well as increasing the protein and fibre content in the shake.

Creamier shakes
To make a shake creamy I use either low fat cottage cheese or plain Greek style yoghurt. Both ingredients don’t deviate from the main flavour of the shake. I always use frozen ingredients, a cold creamy shake is a lot better to enjoy than one at room temperature.

Loose/runny shakes
Whatever the main liquid ingredient of the shake is, whether it is water, almond milk or milk itself; I just add a lot more of it into the blender. Typically I end up with enough liquid in the blender to make two shakes but that’s fine by me as I can have one pre-workout and easily refrigerate one for post workout.

These are just some of the ingredients that I add to change up the consistency of my shakes. There are a lot more ingredients out there that I've yet to try but in the meantime these work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment